• bestofcluj.png
  • clujuldelanganoi.png
  • gradinabotanica.png
  • muzee.png
  • parcetnografic.png

1910-1913
Built in an eclectic style, with Secession influences, for the contractor Dávid Sebestyén.
ARCHITECTS: Géza Aladár Kármán – Gyula Ullmann

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

 

 

 

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Monumente_arhitectonice/Banffy/{/gallery}

The Palace, built in the 18th century by the nobiliary Bánffys, is representative of the Transylvanian baroque. Designed by the Sibiu-born architect Johann Eberhard Blaumann, the building surrounds a spacious inner yard. Above the gate, on the façade decorated with rococo elements, there is the family coat-of-arms, from which the communists removed the crown of the heraldic griffon. The small statues on the building, sculpted by Anton Schuchbauer, represent characters from the Greek mythology: Mars, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, Hercules, Perseus. The back entry is guarded by two heraldic griffons.

 

Read more: The Banffy Palace

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Monumente_arhitectonice/Matia_Corvin/{/gallery}    

The Matthias Corvinus House (or Mehffy House) is a cityish builing in gothic style from the 15th century (today, Art and Design University of Cluj Napoca). In this house, which was the city's inn in past, was born on 23rd of February 1443 Matia Corvin, the son of the vaivode of Transylvania, John Hunyadi (Ioan de Hunedoara). Matia Corvin was the greatest king of Hungary (1458-1490), he was learned, patron of arts, wise and just, being mentioned in songs and legends even today. In 1467, he acquited the owners of the house in which he was born from paying taxes and fees to the city. This privilege was enforced by the next kings and princes.

Read more: The Matthias Corvinus House

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

 

 

 

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Monumente_arhitectonice/Cetatea/{/gallery}

Cluj-Napoca was first mentioned in 1173 with the name of Clus (Latin name for "a place surrounded by hills"). Other names for the city were Kolozsvár (in Hungarian) and Klausenburg (in German) given by the Saxon colonists that settled in the Fortress during the reign of Stephen the Fifth of Hungary after the population was decimated by the Tatars. Klausenburg was one of the seven Medieval Saxon Fortresses (Siebenbürgen) of Transylvania. The first Romanian name of the city was Clus, sometimes written as « Klus ». In 1974 the name was changed into Cluj-Napoca, Napoca being the first name of the settlement used during the Roman times.

Read more: The Cluj Fortress

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Monumente_arhitectonice/Cetatuia/{/gallery}

With an elevation of 405 metres above the sea level, the Fortress Hill appears as a plateau on which a Vauban style fortification was built by the Austrians, in the 18th century, with walls, bastions and a redoubt. The fortification accommodated administrative buildings, the garrison and the armory and was meant to control the city. During the 1848 Revolution functioned as a prison. It is here that the well-known Saxon humanist and fighter of the Revolution, Stephan Ludwig Roth, was imprisoned and executed. The remains of the old fortification consist in some parts of the walls and some buildings, while the redoubt was transformed into the Tower of Parachutists.

Read more: The Fortress Hill

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

 {gallery}Atractii_turistice/Monumente_arhitectonice/str_oglinda/{/gallery}

The Mirror Street (Iuliu Maniu Street)

Read more: The Mirror Street

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Monumente_arhitectonice/Turnul_Croitorilor/{/gallery}

The Tailors' Tower (Baba Novac Street / Stefan cel Mare Square) is part of the second fortified precinct of the walls system and of the fortifications of the city, built in the first half of 15th century and continued until the 17th century. It was built on the South-Eastern corner of the city defense wall, after 1405, following the privileges keyed by King Sigismund of Luxemburg. The first confirmed documents date 1457, from the time of King Matia Corvin.

Read more: The Tailors' Tower

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Piata_Muzeului/{/gallery}

The Central Square of the Old Fortress ("Óvár"), later also known as the Small Square, as opposed to the Large Square built around St Michael's Church, was the center of the medieval town. We still encounter relics of the old Roman town, brought to light by the archeologists.

Read more: Museum Square

Category: EN Monumente arhitectonice

Publicatii

publicatii03