{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Parcuri/Simion_Barnutiu/{/gallery}

Having a 180 years oldness, this is one of the main recreation places of Cluj-Napoca, situated on the bank of Somesul Mic.

The history of the park begins in 1827, when the Women Charity Association rented the field to set up a recreation place. The park was opened to the public in the early '30 of 19th century, being initially named The Park of People.

In the second half of the 19th century was set up the Park Comission, with tasks in administering the park. Afterwards, the alleys and the lake were arranged and the music pavilion was built. Also in the park, was inaugurated the Summer Theatre, with a cinematography section, which is today the residence of the Hungarian State Theatre.

Near the park, in the inter-war period, functioned the De Gerando superior girls'school, named after the first head mistress, Antonina de Gerardo. Nowadays, the building belongs to Babes-Bolyai University and shelters the Faculty of Chemistry. In the park, there are situated the statues of Liviu Rebreanu and George Cosbuc, built at the end of the 1960s and the building of the Painting Section of the „Ion Andreescu" Art and Design University. Lately, there hasn't been much investment in the park, but the reconstruction of the alleys has started and the lake was populated with various fish species, the surface of the lake being wandered by ducks, well fed by children and lovers.

Category: EN Parcuri si spatii verzi